Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) provides free tax preparation to low-to-moderate income families and individuals. IRS trained volunteer tax preparers meet with clients to complete their tax returns and file them electronically for fast refunds. VITA volunteers help people get the tax credits they qualify for, including the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and the Child Tax Credit (CTC). The EITC is a federal income tax credit for low-to-moderate income working individuals and families. The CTC is a tax credit for low-to-moderate income families with one or more children in the household.
During the 2018 tax year, 13 dedicated volunteers filed 558 returns that resulted in more than $945,961 in federal and state refunds — money that goes directly back into our local economy.
VITA Tax Center Locations and Hours
We have tax centers located in Dubuque, Delaware, and Jackson Counties.
To schedule an appointment in Dubuque, please call Information and Referral 2-1-1, (866) 469-2211, or (319) 739-4211.
To schedule an appointment in Machester, please call (563) 927-4629.
To schedule an appointment in Maquoketa, please call (563) 652-5197.
What to bring to your appointment:
- Last year’s tax return
- Social Security or ITIN Numbers for all individuals that will be on the tax return
- All w-2’s received
- Photo Id for yourself and spouse.
- Any other tax documentation that you have received (1099-R (retirement), 1099-Misc (independent contractor, non-employee), 1098-T (Tuition statement), 1095 (Health insurance statement) w-2 G (Gambling winnings) 1099 (Interest and dividend earnings from banks) )
- Date of Birth for all who will be claimed on a tax return
- Documentation of property taxes paid on your house.
- Documentation of any charitable donations you made
- Proof of bank account routing and account number for direct deposit
- Documentation of amounts paid to a childcare provider
- All adults on the return must be present to sign before submitting
Interested in volunteering with VITA? Please visit our volunteer page to learn more about how you can get involved.