Lend a helping hand.
At Operation: New View CAA, we are dedicated to building stronger communities. The work we do would not be possible without our passionate volunteers. No matter what you’re looking to do, Operation: New View CAA can help identify the volunteer opportunity that is best for you.
Become a VITA Volunteer!
Title: VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) Tax Preparer
Purpose: This position will assist with various activities in the designated VITA Site. Volunteers in area VITA Sites are an essential part of keeping the VITA Program running which enables us to continue to assist low to moderately low income families and individuals with free tax preparation. To learn more about Volunteering with area VITA Sites contact, Beverly Maas, Executive Assistant; Community Planning & Education, at 563-556-5130 ext. 33.
Results: This position will allow us to continue to reach low to moderately low income families and individuals and help them get the tax credits they qualify for including the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Child Tax Credit (CTC).
- Attend trainings, take and pass the IRS certification exam.
- Ensure that information about asset-building and financial education resources are available.
- Ensure that adequate supplies, forms and equipment are maintained at your site.
- Establish a process to ensure you are assigned returns within your level of certification and within the scope of the VITA Programs.
- Maintain organized records of tax returns prepared at the VITA site.
Qualifications: People wishing to volunteer in the VITA Program must comply with the IRS VITA guidelines as follows:
- Receive training in the Volunteer Standards of Conduct.
- Receive Basic level VITA tax preparer certification (Advanced level preferred, but not necessary).
- Have basic computer skills (navigating the internet, using email, Excel and Word).
- Ability to remain friendly, dependable, and flexible.
- Ability to remain comfortable while working with diverse, low-income, and/or limited English Proficient individuals and families.
- Have the ability to answer tax law questions as timely and as accurately as possible.
Timeframe: VITA Tax preparers should be available once per week (preferably 5-9 pm) from February to April.
Site: To be determined.
Supervision: The VITA tax preparer will convey any questions, comments, or concerns regarding their assigned VITA Site, VITA volunteers (including themselves, Site coordinator, back-up coordinator, tax preparers, greeters, and quality control), as well as Tax clients to the Beverly Maas, VITA Coordinator.
Benefits to the volunteer:
- Develop new professional and personal relationships within your community.
- Add to or create a professional portfolio.
- Flexible part-time hours.
- Assist low to moderately low income families and individuals receive tax credits they qualify for.
Become an Outreach Assistant!
Many people in our community struggle to meet their basic needs. Operation: New View CAA is looking for volunteers to join a dedicated team of Outreach workers who provide food, heat, and hygiene products to people in need. Training will be provided on our programs, how to work effectively with clients, and community resources. Contact Mary Billmeyer at (563) 556-5130 ext. 11 or mbillmeyeroperationnewview.org for information and application.
Volunteer with Santa’s Helper
Interested in sponsoring a family or volunteering for Santa’s Helper? Please contact Mary Billmeyer at (563) 556-5130 ext. 11 or firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.