OPERATION: NEW VIEW COMMUNITY ACTION AGENCY
POSITION TITLE: Head Start Cook
RESPONSIBLE TO: Teacher
CLASSIFICATION: F – Clerical and Program Support
PT (25-35 hrs/wk)
PT (varied hours/per/wk)
The Cook in the Head Start Center is responsible for conducting the daily food and nutrition program. She/he will be generally responsible for the menus and for the purchase of foods. The cook will be expected to maintain sanitary conditions within the kitchen and to serve family style meals in compliance with all licensing requirements.
– Become knowledgeable of and adhere to Head Start goals and performance standards, OSHA regulations, Universal Precautions; state child care licensing requirements and Personnel Policies and Procedures to ensure that the classroom environment is healthy and free of all hazards;
– Plan, draw up and evaluate menus with the assistance of the nutrition consultants;
– Purchase all necessary commodities;
– Prepare nutritious meals, according to a planning menu; serve them in an attractive manner;
– Coordinate with the teacher in providing nutritional experiences for the children;
– Assist children and adults with breakfast and lunch programs; sit and eat with the children while assisting them in socializing and independent mealtime skills;
– Distribute copies of menus and recipes to parents;
– Participate in meetings, conferences and seminars as necessary and required;
– Maintain a safe and clean environment for food storage, preparation and service consistent with prevailing standards and applicable codes;
– Be sensitive to the special needs of children and incorporate responsive techniques for feeding into the food service pattern;
– Maintain the professional competence, knowledge and skills necessary for the satisfactory performance of all assigned responsibilities;
– Handle confidential information with discretion.
– Abide by the Head Start Standard of Conduct
– Minimum of high school diploma or GED;
– Prefer previous experience with preschool children;
– Ability to work cooperatively with and communicate effectively with other people, and to take directions;
– Well developed written and oral communication skills;
– Ability to prepare foods in a tasty and attractive manner;
– Adequate liability insurance, valid driver’s license and dependable transportation to transport foods when requested;
– Responsible for pre-employment physical with TB Screen and yearly Head Start physical thereafter;
– Ability to read guidelines and translate them into acceptable selection of foods, meals and meal quantities;
– The absence of conviction record involving felonious acts with children;
– The absence of a conviction record of substantiated child abuse.
|Stationary Position||Occasionally (up to 1/3)|
|Move/traverse||Constantly (2/3 or more)|
|Ascend/Descend, Work atop, Traverse||Occasionally (up to 1/3)||As needed when using ladders and stairs.|
|Operate, Activate, Use, Prepare, Inspect, Place, Detect||Constantly (2/3 or more)||Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer and/ or kitchen equipment/appliances|
|Position self (to) move||Constantly (2/3 or more)||Constantly positions oneself for comfort and necessity|
|Communicate, Detect, Converse with, Discern, Convey, Express oneself, Exchange Information||Constantly (2/3 or more)||This position constantly communicates with coworker and clients both orally and in writing|
|Detect, Determine, Perceive, Identify, Recognize, Judge, Observe, Inspect, Estimate, Assess||Constantly (2/3 or more)|
|Move, Transport, Position, Put, Install, Remove||Constantly (2/3 or more)||May move up to 70 lbs. independently|
|Driving or Exposure to Work||Occasionally (up to 1/3)||Will travel occasionally for training and other business functions. This position primarily works in a classroom setting, but will spend time outside when weather permits.|
OVERVIEW – The position description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills or efforts associated with the position. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of principal job elements.
Operation: New View Community Action Agency is an equal opportunity provider, lender and employer.