Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) provides free tax preparation to low-to-moderate income families and individuals. IRS trained volunteer tax preparers meet with clients to complete their tax returns and file them electronically for fast refunds. VITA volunteers help people get the tax credits they qualify for, including the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and the Child Tax Credit (CTC). The EITC is a federal income tax credit for low-to-moderate income working individuals and families. The CTC is a tax credit for low-to-moderate income families with one or more children in the household.
During the 2015 fiscal year, dedicated volunteers filed 395 returns that resulted in more than $618,000 in federal refunds ($274,000 was in EITC refund dollars)—money that goes directly back into our local economy.
VITA Tax Center Locations and Hours
We have tax centers located in Dubuque, Delaware, and Jackson Counties. Our centers will be open from February 6th, 2017 through April 10th, 2017.
Center: ONV Dubuque Co. Office (1473 Central Ave.)
Hours: Monday & Thursday evenings from 5-9pm
To schedule an appointment in Dubuque, please call Information and Referral 2-1-1, (866) 469-2211, or (319) 739-4211.
Center: ONV Delaware Co. Office (721 South 5th St. Suite B)
Hours: Fridays from 8am – 5pm
To schedule an appointment in Machester, please call (563) 927-4629.
Center: ONV Jackson Co. Office (904 East Quarry)
Hours: By appointment during hours 9am – 3pm M-Thur
To schedule an appointment in Maquoketa, please call (563) 652-5197.
What to bring to your appointment:
- Valid photo ID
- Social Security Card for each name on the return
- Birthdates for each name on the return
- W-2’s for all jobs in 2016
- 1099 forms for other income, if any
- A copy of last year’s tax return
- Health Insurance Coverage Statement Form 1095
- Any other income-related or tax-related documentation received from all sources (employer, bank, IRS, state, etc.)
- A blank check or your bank account information for direct deposit
- All adults on the return must be present to sign before submitting
Interested in volunteering with VITA? Please visit our volunteer page to learn more about how you can get involved.